Today is officially 1 year since i posted my very first blog post, i know what your all thinking ‘ooh valentines day how cute’ no not really!! i didn’t have a date last valentines and i don’t have one now (check out my top 20 valentines day film’s) which means another Rosé fuelled movie night in with my sister (best night ever).
I digress, so i have been blogging for a year now and here is what I’ve learnt so far:
- Consistency is key – Consistently updating a blog can be extremely time consuming and tedious, i barely have time to update my i-phone to the latest version, but being consistent is the only way you will see results. As we all know, life happens, and sometimes you just don’t have time.
- Confidence is also key – Trying to make an entertainment based blog successful has its challenges, as do many other types of blogs. In comparison to a fashion and/or lifestyle blog, promotional opportunities can be hard to come by, but when they do come you must be confident. The first interview i did was with film director Kai Barry and actress Noémie Merlant for their film Newcomer (2015). I was so excited when i was offered the opportunity to interview them, i was so nervous when i arrived and terrified that they knew it, luckily they where so nice and the interview was a breeze (Kinda, i was still sweating buckets).
- Never give up – Im almost 100% sure that every blogger has thought about giving up at least once (i know i have, more than once). Although my blog doesn’t get as much traffic as i’d like, looking back at the views just six months ago and now, there is a huge difference and that alone is enough to keep going. I genuinely love film and fashion and i genuinely love talking about it.This is just the begging!
- Be yourself – When i first started Girl About Film i really wanted it to be anonymous, but i soon realised that most successful blogs have more of a personal touch to it. Personally, i’m still working on this part. The idea of putting myself out there is quiet daunting but i understand how crucial it can be when creating a successful blog. I am thinking to maybe do interview videos, a vlog and/or OOTD pics!? what do you guys think?
- Social media is important – How else will people find your amazing blog? Social media is important if you want more people reading your posts. Social media is how most of us get information these days from news to film reviews and fashion tips. I see social media as a sort of interactive billboard, you need to make sure that as many people as possible will see your blog post.
- Reference! reference! reference! – When i first started blogging, i barely ever referenced pictures or information (i know, its bad). It can be tedious but you must remember to give credit where its due. You wouldn’t want someone using your picture/post/video without stating where they got it.
- You don’t always have to say yes – When you start getting promotional requests it can be really exciting, but always remember what your blog is about. I have been approached by brands that don’t fit Girl About Film and i have had to decline (yes, even when they offer money) because theres nothing worst than being a sell out to your own brand
So i guess it’s time i let you know a bit about me: My name is Kimberley-Jade, i am 24 years old and i live in London, England. As you can tell, i am a huge film buff and i love everything that goes with it from fashion to re-makes. I currently work full time but i also pride myself on being a full-time film connoisseur.
Film: Cheesy rom-coms and anything Tarantino are my favourite types of films, I’ve currently been re-watching True Romance (1993)
TV: I love a good teen show, anything with great fashion and good looking people and i love a good dark comedy like orange is the new black (2013)
Fashion: One of my favourite designers is Elie Saab, his dresses are just so dreamy and romantical. I love shows like Reign, Sex and The City and Gossip Girl (obviously) for fashion inspiration.